Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: i need to win from my biggest fear.  (Read 3371 times)

SuperNova

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!
    • Dreadnaught BG
i need to win from my biggest fear.
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »
my biggest fear: meteors
i'm so scared that any moment, a meteor strikes and destroyes everything.
this is the biggest fear i'm struggeling with. please help me

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Re: i need to win from my biggest fear.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:10:54 PM »
Well, look how long time we've survived already - billions of years. Why should a meteor kill us now, in our lifetime which is only a fraction of these billions of years? Now, when we for the first time in the history of the planet are the able to defend ourselves. Just think about how many amateur astronomers who are tracking all the possible threats, and all our missiles ready to destroy them. Some people say it won't help blasting meteors, because it will just turn them into pieces that will destroy us equally. I don't think that's true, since the smaller objects would burn up faster in the atmosphere, and we can possibly also change the direction the asteroid/comet would be traveling.

And at last, it is best not to think too much about fears, especially those you can't change. I know it's hard, and you probably try not to already. But think about the good things about the future, how our technology will advance, perhaps the singularity, robots removing the need for humans to work, perhaps you won't even need a job in 30 years, a full life of sparetime? There are so many exciting things about the future that could make me wish I was born in it, but most of us should be happy to be born in this already exciting time where our technology is advancing so fast, and we are gaining so much more knowledge every day. Every day we gain more knowledge to fight meteors and other disasters threatening us.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »
if it' your time, it's your time. Life is short, don't worry about things. Make the most of life, you only have one!  ;)

Like Bla said, don't think about fears you can't control. This reminds me of a graph on how to act. It has a top row and bottom, and two columns.

Column:
One is it happens or doesn't need to, and the other is it doesn't happen or need to...
Rows:
You do something to act, or you don't.

Now the four combinations that meet up, write the effects then... Do the one you can control!

Its here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:03:31 PM by NeutronStar »

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:17:31 PM »
my biggest fear: meteors
i'm so scared that any moment, a meteor strikes and destroyes everything.
this is the biggest fear i'm struggeling with. please help me

Whatever.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »
@SuperNova
Your imagination is too wonderful to waste it fearing the unlikely and unchangeable.

(unchangeable: assuming you don't become a rocket scientist and develop ways to divert meteors from hitting the Earth)

To counter your fear statistically...
You're far more likely to die in a car accident or from falling down stairs. While it could happen that a meteor might destroy everything, it's really unlikely. I don't think there's ever been a human death from a meteor. Either way... There's nothing you can do about it. It's just not worth your time to worry about it.

Naru523

• let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:12:19 PM »

Whatever.

Harsh, again. (Sorry Dan but I had to say it)