Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kepler Finds Two Mystery Objects  (Read 5572 times)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Kepler Finds Two Mystery Objects
« on: January 06, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »
Meanwhile, Kepler has also found two mystery objects that are too hot to be planets and too small to be stars.

Kepler discovered the two new heavenly bodies each circling its own star. Borucki says the objects are thousands of degrees hotter than the stars they circle. That means they probably are not planets. They are bigger and hotter than planets in our solar system, including dwarf planets.

"The universe keeps making strange things stranger than we can think of in our imagination," said Jon Morse, head of astrophysics for NASA.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2010-01-05-newplanets05_st_N.htm

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
Re: Kepler Finds Two Mystery Objects
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »
Greenhouse effect?

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:52:46 AM »
Greenhouse effect?
Loool! ;D :P :) :D ;D

Interesting though. How can something have such a high temperature? I read that the coronae of stars are hotter than the stars' surfaces, so perhaps if the objects were close to the stars, it could have the same reason as the corona being warmer. I don't know why the corona has a higher temperature than the surface, but... Just an idea.
I guess the Scientists would've known by now if it were that simple... :-\
But we shalt know in the Future! :)

Naru523

• let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:54:24 AM »
Our earth's core is hotter ( :P ) .

qwew80

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 07:02:19 AM »
Greenhouse effect?
Loool! ;D :P :) :D ;D

Interesting though. How can something have such a high temperature? I read that the coronae of stars are hotter than the stars' surfaces, so perhaps if the objects were close to the stars, it could have the same reason as the corona being warmer. I don't know why the corona has a higher temperature than the surface, but... Just an idea.
I guess the Scientists would've known by now if it were that simple... :-\
But we shalt know in the Future! :)
Bla, interesting question. I may not know the complete answer, but hopefully i can help you figure it out.

As most people here should already know, a star's light and energy are produced by large amounts of hydrogen being fused in it's core. The sunlight created is forced out of the star and sent into the universe. Unfortunantly, because of the star's themendous size and density, the light actually needs to navigate inside of the star for millions of years before actually being let out into space. The density of the star may also be comflicting with the amount of heat that is actually being released as well.