Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation  (Read 3618 times)

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation
« on: August 31, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1210.1847v2.pdf

there's a lot of hype on this subject, and people claiming that scientists have proved we're a simulation or something similar, but really, this paper just discusses the observed artifacts that could be created if the universe was a numerical simulation, and the constraints on the simulation. the paper is tough to wade through if you don't know much particle physics, but i guess it's sort of important.

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
Re: Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »
so someone else before just ran a physical simulation and we appeared? so the universe is controlled?

Chaou

Re: Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »
so someone else before just ran a physical simulation and we appeared? so the universe is controlled?

Well, even if the universe is a simulation, we can't really know for sure if it's "controlled" in the sense of some kind of creature actively influencing and controlling events in the universe.
Personally, if I was the creator of a universe, I would just have it automated and based on chance.
That way exotic forms and structures (planets, biology, structures, etc.) can form and they could just copy the design and use it for themselves.

Also, if the universe is actually a simulation, then the possibilities are simply endless. "Souls" could actually exist in the form of mind uploading, there could be a near infinite amount of simulated universes. Is there even such thing as a "real" universe in that case then? Or even a difference between real and fake?
What is simulating us, could we simulate ourselves?
Is there still a purpose in knowledge and science?
Is the simulation itself self-aware or not?
Is there a creator of the universe?
Am I asking too many questions?