Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A strange thing ive been wonderig...  (Read 6379 times)

InfoBloe

• =]
A strange thing ive been wonderig...
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »
If your on a platform or a spaceship travelling at the speed of light, and you walk forward, are you time traveling (aka faster than speed of light)

Edit: sorry i spelt wondering wrong in the title by mistake

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
Re: A strange thing ive been wonderig...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »
Probably, but you wont reach the speed of the Big Bang.

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 02:33:20 PM »
You would stay on the ship. Or maybe you would slide off. Yes, you are time traveling. If the ship is moving the speed of light, you would time travel.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 02:11:05 AM »
If time stops at the speed of light, you wouldn't be able to go faster than the speed of light, since the only way to enter time again would be to go slower than the speed of light... If time doesn't rewind at higher velocities, but higher velocities require more than infinite energy, which is impossible to obtain.
If you walk on a spaceship, you move relative to the spaceship, I think there's some relativity in this which will answer the question.
Here's a video I would recommend everyone to watch if they're curious about the strange things happening about the speed of light:
Link
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:16:12 AM by Bla »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 06:54:17 PM »
How would you enter time (again) if there is no time to move to?

Chaotic Cow

• President of Bovine Relations
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 11:06:48 AM »
I doubt you could walk fast enough to get ahead of your spaceship.

As long as you are on it you are moving at the same speed as it.

FGFG

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 03:07:11 PM »
Bla, it's almost correct, but...

You can travel at the speed of light only if you don't have mass (so only particles with no mass like photons) because at the speed of light time doesn't pass, and mass became infinite. You should use infinite energy to reach the speed of light, obviously impossible...

(I think that no-mass particle, in vacuum, can only travel at the speed of light because they need no energy to reach it. Correct me if I'm wrong)

But even if you go at the 99.9999 % at the speed of light you cannot notice anything different on the ship because the time (from the outside) is 99.9999 % slower. If you measure the speed of light you'll find it travels at 300'000 km/s, that is impossible, as I already said.

E.g. The ship is going at 299'999'999 m/s (1 m/s less than the speed of light, approximated at 300'000 km/s).
You start to run and, according to you, you are going at 5 m/s. So it should be 300'000'004 m/s, more than the speed of light. What happens then? The time on the ship according to an observer is really really small. With your time you are running at 5 m/s but for an observer to (e.g.) 0.00001 m/s (always less than 1). Your second is much much longer.
To reach that 1 m/s you should run at 300'000 km/s according to your time, relative to the ship.

Hope it's clearer...