Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: CPU or GPU?  (Read 53 times)

Physics_Hacker

CPU or GPU?
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:10:20 AM »
Which, if I'm going to get a higher end one, is more beneficial for high body count simulations?

TheFinnishForehead

• Gamer, Engineer, Nerd and Weeb
Re: CPU or GPU?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 12:06:55 PM »
Unfortunately, there's no GPU acceleration in US2... Many have hoped for it, and imo it should make it to the priority list as well. You see, serial processing used by CPUs is absolutely shite for simulations of thousands of particles etc. However, parallel processing utilized by GPUs is perfect for it. As an example, an GPU from 2012 would still be far more efficient at simulations than today's most powerful CPUs. This also makes me sad.... I have so many GPUs collecting dust on my shelf. This CPU-only thing limits my simulations so badly. I have 2 GTX Titan Xs (Maxwell, not Pascal or Volta) on my shelf collecting dust, not to mention the older Kepler 780 Ti's. As for my current system, GTX 1080 Ti SLI. And yet, I can't put them to good use...

Physics_Hacker

Re: CPU or GPU?
« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:51:54 PM »
I've done some digging and apparently at some point Universe Sandbox (It may have been one of the legacy versions, I'm not sure) DID support the use of the GPU but they took it away because they were changing stuff. Too bad..a badly functioning GPU acceleration is better than none .-.

In any case, if I had two CPUs instead of one, would US2 be able to utilize both? I'm considering getting two CPUs both with 8 cores (which would make 16 in total) and really high clock speed for significantly cheaper than getting one CPU with lower total specs (lower clock speed and a few less cores) but if US2 won't even utilize both CPUs then obviously I should just go with the one.